The Groundlings First-Ever Short Play Competition
The Groundlings are accepting submissions for a Short Play Competition through July 1, 2016. We strongly urge all finalists to attend the award party following the final presentation of the six-night run of the Short Play Festival on Saturday, October 1, 2016.
Script and Technical Guidelines
- Run time must be no less than ten minutes and no more than twenty minutes.
- Plays may have been previously produced.
- Only one submission per writer(s).
- No musicals, monologues, film or television scripts.
- No nudity, smoking, open flames.
- The Groundlings reserve the right to ask the author to edit the script for clarity, for time constraints, or other reasons.
- Limited set furnishings will be available. Storage of outside items will be negotiated based on space and demand.
- Basic sound cues and lighting cues will be provided.
- Scripts must have the title and page number on each page.
- No author identification should be included in the script.
- Submit the script in PDF form to email@example.com before July 1, 2016.
- Mail a letter with author(s) name, contact information, play title, estimate of running time, and brief plot summary to StageNorth Groundlings, P.O. Box 221, Washburn, WI 54891.
- Initial review of scripts will be by a five-member local panel. They will select twenty scripts to forward to a panel of three professional judges from outside the region.
- By July 15, the judges will select at least six scripts to be performed during the Short Play Festival. All selected scripts will be performed on each of the six nights of the Festival.
Production and Performance
- The Groundlings will work with each finalist to produce their script at StageNorth in Washburn, WI. While finalists are free to select actors and direct their own work, others may seek help finding a director and actors.
- Rehearsals will be scheduled during the week prior to the Short Play Festival.
- Performances will take place at 7:30 pm on September 23, 24, 29, 30, and October 1 with a 2:00 matinee on Sunday, September 25.
- An award celebration will follow the closing performances on October 1, 2016.
- No personal complementary tickets will be awarded. You must have a ticket to sit in the audience.
- No videotaping during live performances except by a technician working with The Groundlings. $10 videotapes will be available to creative teams by request.
Awards will be juried by writer-judges in the audience
- $1,000 to the author with the best script
- $ 500 to the director for the best performance
- $ 250 to the best male actor
- $ 250 to the best female actor
- $ 500 for the Audience Favorite